Monday, December 18, 2006

Movie Madness and I Feel Sane

Last year was a really interesting movies. Films that became widely known without hype, despite the surrounding them. So one could survey the play times in a paper and make hard choices about which film would be the film most worth watching. But this year...

The only films I would really like to see is The Queen and Letters from Iwo Jima. A few other movies look interesting, but they mostly seem to high quality popcorn, not serious films that could challenge me at the end of the year. What about indie films, Hollywood makes popcorn films without a second thought, but there is always something interesting in the indie world that makes movies look serious again. However, this season there doesn't seem to be anything.

If you've seen anything good let me know, and tell us what you're looking forward to, later this year (not much of that) and next year.

2 Comments:

At 11:23 a.m., Blogger Eucharisto said...

Same here. I saw only two or three films that I thought were excellent, and a couple more that I enjoyed.

First off, my favorite movie of the year, bar none, was The Queen. I saw it twice, and loved it even more the second time. It's such an excellent subtle tale on the struggle for those of us who still love traditional cultural elements, trying to hold onto them, while slowly and clumsily (but not without dignity!) trying to integrate ourselves into modernism.

Another movie that I know I am alone in liking, but I enjoyed it nonetheless, was Lady in the Water. it was my first Shyamalan film, and though definitely on the lesser end of his repertoire, still extremely enjoyable with some subtle themes that I appreciated. LITW was my door into all of Shyamalan's other films, and for that reason, I'm very grateful for it.

There were two movies I truly enjoyed for entertainment's sake. The first was MI:3. I thought it was the best a so-called "popcorn film" gets. Definietly my favorite of the three MI films.

The other, which I appreciated for cinematography, storyline and such almost as much as I appreciated the action was Jet Li's Fearless. I found it to be inspiring, while displaying stunningly beautiful scenery. It reminded me of another Jet Li movie, which I also loved for it's breathtaking settings, Hero.

Other than that, I didn't see a lot that styaed with me, except maybe Dead Man's Chest, which I didn't like the first time around. I like it better now, but I'm still not convinced it's better than Curse of the Black Pearl.

You're right! There wasn't much this year! Let's hope for a better year this time.

 
At 10:30 p.m., Blogger Meiska said...

Ha! The Fountain was great (I was one of the few to think so), and so was the Prestige. Go David Bowie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home