Monday, September 26, 2005

Blue about 'Blue Like Jazz'?



I've been reading this book recently, and have been transformed by many of the ideas in it. I find it to be refreshing and inviting, and have been reading it as often as possible.
Unfortunately however, many people seem to think it to liberal and to open, at least in circles I've been in, and I've had trouble separating these people's preconceptions about the book with the 'Relevant' postmodern culture. I would wonder why so many people respond in such a reactionary way, instead of reading it and finding truth through it. Thoughts anyone? Has anyone had the same experience?
(Besides all that, I just love the book so much, I wanted to open a discussion about it!)

5 Comments:

At 8:00 p.m., Blogger Why said...

I thought that maybe it was a little to open but that shouldn't detract from the great things Donald Miller has to say. And what's really cool is that during SEMP Pastor Rick was the main speaker.

 
At 7:09 a.m., Blogger Queen Mum said...

I can add this to my reading list. I have started reading 4 or 5 books, which is a first for me. I usually read one book at a time. I remember you telling me that this would help my memory. Well, I have to admit that I struggle to remember what I read previously before continuing. If I can't remember, I make myself go back an read it again. This way I don't get to move forward unless I remember what I've read. Someone told me that I am being too hard on myself, but it is helping.

 
At 4:42 p.m., Blogger Andrew Price said...

I think the real question is "Are ANY of my favorite books acceptable to knee jerk reactionaries?" I get really tired of not being able to recommend my favorite books on account of not knowing how the person I'm recommending the book to, will react. But now I'm just whining.

 
At 2:44 p.m., Blogger Meiska said...

You want some cheese with that whine?
Anyway, I want to read that book alot, and if my mom gets it, then I can commandeer it. Maybe.

 
At 8:05 p.m., Blogger Katie said...

I ADORE this book and I just found your post here and had to reply...

I think Miller's thoughts fit very well with our post-mod mindsets. I think he's revolutionary. He's making God relevant to another generation and I think its awesome.

I've got the HS girls reading Searching for God Knows What for a book club this year. P.S. this one is a little more palatable for the conservative thinkers. You might have them give it a try.

I wonder what exactly are their objections to his thoughts? Is it that it doesn't fit with their politics?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home