Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Sufjan's Next State?

Okay so I haven't heard all of Michigan or Illinoise, but I like Sufjan Stevens' music. Right now he's writing 50 albums dedicated to each US state, he's already produced two albums for the project but if his next state in the project is going to be Oregon, I'm going to want to listen for every whisper from this guy.
I admire him for taking on such a project to the US and the individual states a sense of cultural history. US is quite rich in history and culture but we the people are quite ignorant of our past, and of our culture. I mean Russians are very knowledgable about their cultural and are quite proud of it. If I can I would like to do a series of posts on various American artists, e.g. Flannery O'Connor, Bob Dylan.

7 Comments:

At 7:40 p.m., Blogger Eucharisto said...

I'll be thoroughly amazed if Sujan can get through all 50 states, or even just the 48 continental states. I do admire his dedication to actually doing it though, and doing it in a creative way.
I only was able to listen to parts of Illnois, but was thoroughly impressed with what I heard.

 
At 9:37 a.m., Blogger h-i-p said...

I was led to this blog via a post left at my own. Scanning through the past posts here I was pleasantly suprised to see personal booklists and am amazed that there are so many able and willing to summon up the decisive powers to declare their favorites -- and some even to number them in an order as well! (Although I do see that no collaborative list had been made.) Bravo and hurrah. I have no such power. Boo hoo. However, this latest post speaks of Flannery O'Connor and Bob Dylan in one breath. And while Dylan wrote Chronicles which perhaps could meet all of Foolish Knight's qualifications and make it onto a booklist of some sort (I'm sure some of his stream of consciousness must be spiritually engaging if its whence his lyrics arose), perhaps a musiclist can be made as well. A top 10 if you will. And would Sujan make the cut?

 
At 9:38 a.m., Blogger h-i-p said...

P.S. Jack Dempsey was some sort of boxer. And its a fish as well.

 
At 11:35 a.m., Blogger Meiska said...

i've never heard anything from 'Sufjan'. And I thought my name was weird! Wonder what HIS middle name is?!

 
At 11:37 a.m., Blogger Meiska said...

So what's up with His August Majesty Bono today?

 
At 10:58 p.m., Blogger Katie said...

Foolish Knight I read the article!!! Are you proud of me? Anyway... Sufjan sounds very intriging to me now. I'd love to see what he does with Oregon. I do so love Oregon that it better be good or I'll get bitter. Now I need to go find some of his work on the other two states for a listen.

 
At 5:28 p.m., Blogger Johnnynorms said...

If Sufjan does a state a year, that takes him into his 70s depending how old he is now. Then...the rest of the world?! I think I'll get started on East Sussex.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home