Saturday, October 08, 2005

The story of The Third Man is a strange one. Holly (Joseph Cotten) is unemployed American, moves to Allied occupied Austria to work with a childhood friend. Holly however can not be satisfied by the details of his friend’s (Harry played by Orson Welles) death. Every one he meets warns him to give up quest. But Holly is unswayed in his mission. As a result Holly is faced with truth in it’s ugliest form. Ultimately has to make a choice no human should have to make to choose between being a means to a friend’s death, or choosing to turn a blind eye to the cause to so much pain and suffering. An interesting angel to this story is the love angel. In Holly’s quest for answers he meets up with Harry’s old girl friend Anna (Alida Valli). She is a quiet girl who is mourning the loss of Harry. I think a reason I like her is that she is not easily won over to the love of another after Harry’s death. Another interesting thing about The Third Man is the music is done wholly done by one instrument a zither an odd sound that goes with an odd movie. But in the my mind one of the best. And I can't forget that it is a part of The Criterion Collection.

8 Comments:

At 9:23 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

yea'y... movie suggestions! thanks, midsummer!

 
At 7:47 a.m., Blogger Meiska said...

Sounds great! Which means: It probably doesn't exist in rental form in the state of Tennessee.

 
At 11:18 a.m., Blogger Eucharisto said...

It's an interesting movie...And the only other movie I've ever seen Orsen Welles in besides Citizen Cane. I liked the mystery, though, I think that some of the movies of yesteryear are more thought of as great, not because they were necessarily brilliant, but because for the time they broke ground.
Still a great movie though.

 
At 7:00 a.m., Blogger Queen Mum said...

Sounds like something I would like to watch.

Dare I admit this? I have never seen Citizen.....

 
At 12:05 p.m., Blogger Andrew Price said...

Hey, you're not alone. Believe me, I know.

 
At 12:06 p.m., Blogger Andrew Price said...

Oh yes, good review Midsummer! Keep 'em coming!

 
At 8:10 p.m., Blogger Katie said...

I just rented this recently based on the recomendations of Foolish Knight and Midsummer. It was interesting definitely. I found it a little sad at the end though. Maybe that's because I was as disillusioned by the outcome as the main character. But as a classic I think its got definite merit. But I won't be watching it on a rainy day if you know what I mean. (Don't hate me!)

 
At 11:30 p.m., Blogger Anna E. P. said...

I don't hate you katie. And I know what you mean about raining day movies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home